ss_blog_claim=d8a5111701cf57875c439c4ad0134984 ROSELLE'S BLOG: Genius Invention For Cooks And Bakers

Thursday, November 8, 2007

Genius Invention For Cooks And Bakers

Before I got married to my incredible husband, I don’t know how to cook at all. Back home (Philippines) my mother and my sisters do all the cooking. All I do is just to help them prepare the ingredients and then watch them cook, that’s it!

One time, one of my officemates brought a Graham Cake in the office. She shared it with us and I liked it very much as it was so delicious. I got so interested even more because she said that it’s a no bake cake. Knowing me, “Ms. I Don’t Know How To Cook“, I asked her for the ingredients and the procedure on how to make it. I tried making it during the weekend and my mother was so surprised because it was absolutely delicious.

So here’s the version of our Graham Cake (don’t know where this recipe originated, some people call this Refrigerator Cake)

1 can fruit cocktail
1 can peach slices
1 tub of whipped cream
1 can condensed mil
1 can nestle cream
1 box graham crackers (the original honey flavor)

All you have to do is to drain the fruit cocktail and peach slices (drain them well). While the two ingredients are draining, mix the condensed milk, nestle cream and whipped cream. Mix them well until it is stiff (meringue like consistency). Then in an 8x8 pan, spread some of the cream mixture then layer the graham crackers over it, then put more cream on the graham cracker. Next layer is the peach slices, spread cream, then graham crackers again, cream, then fruit cocktail. After that, just repeat the procedure until you reach the desired height of your cake. Refrigerate it at least 5 hours, but I’d suggest over night so the graham cracker can absorb all the cream for more delicious taste.

This recipe is so memorable to me as this is the first thing I offered to my husband (boyfriend then) when he first visited me back in the Philippines. He absolutely loved it and wouldn’t even share it to his mom and brother. The only thing that keeps me from making this all the time is the mixing part. I don’t have a mixer so I have to do it by hand and it would take me forever to reach the desired consistency of the cream.

When I got here in the United States, my husband ask me to make it for him one Christmas. Good thing that we are in my mom-in-law’s house and she has an Eclectrics® Mixer. It took me only a minute to make the cake because the mixing part was cut very, very short. Thank you very much to my mom-in-law’s Hamilton Beach® Mixer my hands were saved from mixing forever. Plus this one is much quieter than her old mixer. Also it has 400 watts of power, so you know it can do even the toughest job. It has 2 way-rotating head, 12 settings for more precise control and mixing flexibility. It even has 2 piece pouring and splatter shield. You really can’t ask for anything more.

Anyway, I am looking forward to buying myself a Hamilton Beach® Stand Mixer which I’d use not only for Graham Cake but for baking cookies, cakes and pies as well. I can’t cook before but now, I spend a lot of time in the kitchen. My husband is a good teacher. My mother in the Philippines is so surprised too when she found out that I am a good cook now.





No comments: